16 May 2013

Harry Potter HFriday - Post the It's All Downhill from Here


FIRST, has anyone mentioned yet that Saint Hedwig is the patron saint of orphans? Someone had to have, but I missed it, so I flailed a little a lot when I read it JUST TODAY.

*weeeeeeeeeep*
NEXT:


Rest in peace, Old Battleaxe. You earned it. 
I'mma just be over here in my chair.

I am starting to get seriously upset that this readalong is ending. I love how we all let one another drift in and out (ahem: me, mostly) and don't worry, how Alice managed to pick the exact right amount of chapters so we can do this reading and other recreational reading on the side, and how we argue and discuss and roll our eyes at each other every once in awhile but have also forged what I, at least, consider to be some pretty badass friendships.

I never actually watched this show, but the GIFs are pretty good.
Also, Australian Kayleigh, I'm going to need you to get me a koala to live outside my house, please. Thanks.

SPEAKING OF FRIENDS, which we were, Dudley brought Harry tea and was trying to make him feel betterrrrr! And it's totes not Harry's fault that he misread Dudley's extremely subtle hints (I say, as an Extremely Subtle Hint Leaver myself...), but maybe there's hope for Dear Diddykins after all.

"Harry had spent the morning completely emptying out his school trunk for the first time since he had packed it six years ago." 
This has to be a boy thing. I mean, it could also be a Plot Point Thing for the Purpose of Reminding Us What Has Come Before [as if anyone would just pick up book 7 out of the blue - there's not even a book flap blurb! (which I liked a lot, nice job JK)] but I have six brothers and I am here to tell you: boys are disgusting.


"I've also modified my parents' memories so that they're convinced they're called Wendell and Monica Wilkins, and that their life's ambition is to move to Australia, which they have now done." 
DAMN, girl. That is badass and so sad. I don't know that I'd have the cojones to do that if it were my parents.

Ron on the Twelve Fail-Safe Ways to Charm Witches:

"You'd be surprised, it's not all about wandwork, either."

Keep telling yourself that, Roonil Wazlib.

Hey, did you notice that Arthur's patronus is a weasel? Because I did ::coughTHISTIMEcough::

Will Hagrid's gift of a bag no one but the put-inner (soon to be named the De-outer) can take things out of come in handy further down the Plot Road?



Luna's dad believes one should wear sun-colored robes to a wedding for luck. How charming is that? I might make my life imitate art at more weddings if I didn't look like a corpse in yellow.

"Vot," he said, draining his goblet and getting to his feet again, "is the point of being an international Quidditch player if all the good-looking girls are taken?"

Oh Viktor, you are a gentleman. I've met a fair number of internationally famous people, and not one of them cared if the women they hit on were taken. My hat is off to you, sir.

Lastly before we move on to the genre-required endless walking portion of the program:

"Harry felt sickened by what he had seen, by the use to which Draco was now being put by Voldemort."